PETS Travel Scheme
Taking your pets to France or Spain by ferry
If you love your holidays but always feel sad at the prospect of leaving behind your four-legged friend, then Brittany Ferries have the answer. With the PETS Travel Scheme, we make it easy for you to take your dog or cat on holiday to France or Spain.
Brittany Ferries are approved carriers for cats, dogs and ferrets travelling under the rules of the scheme. All you need to be on your way together is a valid DEFRA certificate (usually a pet passport,) which is available from any registered vet.
Take your pet to France from just £16.50
From just £16.50 your cat or dog can travel on any of our routes to France, in the comfort of your own car. If travelling to Spain the cost is £69 return which includes kennel accommodation. We think you'll agree it's a small price to pay for so much added enjoyment.
Benefits of taking your pet on holiday
- Avoid the worry associated with leaving your pet behind
- Avoid the stress of kennel accommodation on your pet
- Save on kennel costs
- Enrich your holiday activities
- Quite simply because you will enjoy it and make some great memories!
PETS Travel Scheme Summary
What you need (EX UK)
A pet passport or third country certificate showing that the pet has been micro chipped and vaccinated against rabies. N.B. Your pet may not leave or re-enter the UK until 21 calendar days have elapsed from the date of the rabies vaccination. The animal must also be a minimum of 12 weeks old before being vaccinated. Rabies boosters must be kept up to date. A muzzle is also compulsory.
What you need (EX Continent)
Dogs - A pet passport or third country certificate showing the dog has been treated against tapeworm not less than 24 hours, and not more than 120 hours before arrival in the UK. Tick treatment is no longer required. A muzzle is also compulsory.
Cats & Ferrets - A pet passport or third country certificate is required. Tick and tapeworm treatment is no longer needed.
For further details please see the PETS Travel Scheme compliance checklist.
It is not possible to book animals that are not covered by the Pets Travel Scheme online. In order to do so, please contact us.
Holiday bookings with pets
If you are in the process of booking a ferry-inclusive holiday with us, please ensure you have chosen accommodation that accepts pets or your booking may be refused.
We will not accept bookings:
- On the day of departure
- For unaccompanied pets
- For those travelling by foot, bicycle or motorcycle
- For rabbits
Prices for taking your pet to France or Spain
|UK - France||£16.50|
|France - UK||£24.75|
|UK - Spain||£29.50|
|Spain - UK||£39.50|
Watch our video about travelling abroad with your pet
Download our Pet Travel Scheme guide
- Has your pet been micro-chipped and is the microchip number correctly entered in the passport?
- Was your pet vaccinated after the microchip was implanted?
- Have you found a vet in France or Spain able to treat your dog for tapeworm?
- Has the tapeworm treatment been done more than 24 but less than 120 hours before scheduled arrival time in the UK?
- Has the vet validated the entry for tapeworm treatment which must include the date and time of administration in the passport with an official veterinary stamp and signature.
- Does the tapeworm treatment record include the name of the product used?
- Do you have a muzzle and have you familiarised your pet with it?
- Does your animal have water, absorbent bedding and adequate ventilation in your car for the crossing?
- Do you have sufficient poo bags?