Portsmouth to Bilbao ferries
(COVID-19) Due to current circumstances, we have unfortunately had to consolidate some of our services. Check our sailing updates for the most up-to-date information on our routes and sailings.
Cruise to Spain in just 24 hours
Enjoy a cruise to Spain with Brittany Ferries' Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry route. There are three sailings each way every week during 2021 aboard our cruise ferry, Cap Finistère Or, sail during 2022 when we’ll switch to two sailings a week aboard our brand-new ship, Salamanca, instead. Take your car and avoid the stress and hassle of flying for the most convenient Spanish holiday.
- Three sailings a week aboard Cap Finistère during 2021
- Two sailings a week aboard Salamanca in 2022
- Travel from Portsmouth to Bilbao in 24 hours to 35 hours 30 mins
Portsmouth and Bilbao both offer excellent road links with access to motorways from the ports for an easy, fast onward journey. Portsmouth has plenty of restaurants, hotels and shops in the vicinity of the port and is within two hours drive of London. Bilbao is in the Basque region of Spain and has an exciting blend of modern and historical attractions to explore. It is an ideal entry point to Spain with Madrid only a 4-hour drive and Barcelona around 6 hours away.
Sailing times from Portsmouth
In 2021 there are three return sailings from Portsmouth to Bilbao each week on Cap Finistère depart at 12:00 on Saturdays and 17:00 on Mondays for an overnight crossing, and at 23:00 on Wednesdays for a two night journey**. Get the holiday started straight away with a dip in the pool, a visit to the cinema or a delicious meal in one of the onboard restaurants and explore the stylish lounges and sundecks before retiring to your comfortable, private cabin for a restful night's sleep.
In 2022, the two return sailings each week aboard Salamanca depart at 21:30 on Sunday and 19:30 on Thursday for 2-night crossings arriving at 08:00 on Tuesday or Saturday morning.
Fast access to Spain & the South of France
When you holiday with Brittany Ferries you can sail closer to your destination with a range of routes available so you can choose the port that's best for you and reduce your driving time in Spain. This mile-saving network means you'll be able to spend less on petrol, tolls and other travel expenses and you'll reach your destination faster.
- Bilbao is ideally placed for fast access by road to Northern Spain or the South of France
- Portsmouth is easy to reach with the M27 linking the city directly to the motorway network. Select your holiday destination and plan your route with our guide to driving distances from Bilbao, then search our extensive range of campsites, holiday cottages, gites and hotels all over France and Spain to find the perfect holiday accommodation in your chosen area.
** The Wednesday departure departs at 23:00 and is a two-night crossing. The ship stops in Roscoff on Thursday morning to allow for a change of crew and to load supplies (passengers may not disembark). The ship arrives in Bilbao on Friday morning.