Do I need any documentation for my pet?

The UK has now left the European Union. If you are travelling with a dog, cat or ferret you will need either a UK issued EU Animal Health Certificate (AHC), or an EU Pet Passport that has been issued by a current EU country. 

If travelling with an AHC you will also be required to have a record of your pet’s microchip and rabies vaccination certificate. You can find the latest guidance from DEFRA on taking your pet to the EU here.

If you would like to take a pet that is not a dog, cat or ferret to France and Spain then the rules have changed. You may need an EU Health or CITES certificate. For more information, there are English versions available on the official websites for those travelling to France and those travelling to Spain.


EU animal health certificates are available from your vet. CITES certificates are available from APHA (Animal and Plant Health Authority) on the details below:

APHA – Floor 3, Horizon House, Deanery Road, Bristol BS1 5AH

Email: (for general queries about CITES permits and certificates) (to submit applications for CITES permits and certificates)

Web: The Fish Health Inspectorate - CEFAS Weymouth Laboratory, Barrack Road, The Nothe, Weymouth, DT4 8UB - Tel: 01305 206673 DEFRA - Web: DEFRA quarantine rules  Tel: 0870 241 1710 (Mon-Fri 0830 - 1730) E-Mail: