Essential information about our holidays in France including what you can expect at your property.
The local authorities in France charge a Tourist Tax. This varies from place to place, and can be from €0.50 to €2.50 per person over 18 years per night although at 4 or 5 star establishments this may be more.
- All accommodation has a fridge and cooking facilities and extras such as microwave, washing machine or dishwasher are listed. Keen cooks should read the descriptions carefully, as some apartments and chalets only feature a hob.
- A mezzanine is an open gallery, often used for extra beds but not ideal for children with early bedtimes or those less mobile as they are generally reached by steep stairs. You should always supervise children on mezzanines.
- Stairs may be steep or narrow and/or open tread and may not have banisters - if so the description tells you.
- The maximum number of people that can stay in each property is shown in every description. Where it is shown as 4/6 it means standard beds for adults, plus smaller beds more suitable for children such as bunks. This maximum number cannot be exceeded unless authorised to do so by the property owner or agent. If friends are joining you at your accommodation and planning to stay overnight, you must let us know in advance so that arrangements can be made and permission obtained.
- Cots and child beds may not always be the latest model and very often cots are travel cots.
- Bathrooms have a bath (usually with shower attachment) and shower rooms have a shower. Neither includes a WC unless stated. En suites only have a WC if mentioned in the description
- Properties with TV do not necessarily receive English speaking channels.
- Gardens are usually informal, with grassy areas instead of neat manicured lawns. If they are enclosed, the description tells you.
- Bicycles or games may be provided although they might show signs of wear and tear so you may prefer to take your own.
- Barbecues are not allowed at some of our accommodation except in dedicated areas. Where they are permitted, never be tempted to use a charcoal or barbecue grill indoors or in an enclosed area (such as tents) as this will cause a build-up of carbon monoxide.
- Smoking is not permitted inside chalets and apartments but acceptable on terraces and balconies. At gites and cottages it is generally not allowed indoors and some owners also request that clients do not smoke outside. If a member of your party is a smoker please call us before booking so that we can find out exactly what rules apply at your chosen accommodation.
- Some of the holiday facilities and activities detailed (especially swimming pools) may not be available outside the high season, and this is reflected in our prices.
- Whenever using a pool suitable swimwear must be worn and swimming shorts are not usually acceptable.
- Cleaning is not included unless stated and cleaning products are not provided. At many properties an end of stay cleaning service is available at extra cost which may even be compulsory - this is detailed in the description. In any case properties must be left clean on departure. If this is not done and you have not paid for the cleaning service, money will be deducted from your deposit. Also if you are planning to leave at a time when the agent/caretaker is not available to check you out, you may be asked to pay the cleaning charge shown in the description.
- Where bed linen (sheets and pillowcases) and/or towels are provided or can be hired this is noted in the description and can be supplied at the price shown in euros per bed per change. Otherwise you must take your own. Also take tea towels. Blankets and square pillows are always provided although at most British-owned cottages you will find English pillows rather than the traditional French square ones. If duvets are provided this is stated.
- Your accommodation will generally be ready for you to arrive between 4 and 6pm and you are requested to leave by 10am.
Apartments and Chalet Camping
- Rental prices include power, water and heating unless otherwise stated. At campsites you may have to pay extra if you take a trailer as this takes up extra parking space.
- Where we show prices for activities, linen & cot hire, baby kits etc these were given to us by the suppliers and can change without prior notice.
- At some locations, a charge is made for special requests needing to be confirmed - this is payable on site.
- At all apartments and campsites the deposit payable on arrival will vary between approximately €100 and €550. This can be held by credit/debit card except at some sites where only cash is accepted. In these cases, the amount will be a maximum of €50. Your booking confirmation will show the method of payment and exact amount payable.
- When we are not completely specific about the types of beds (double, single, bunks etc) we have different combinations available. Please discuss your party's requirements with our reservations staff before booking.
- The apartment and chalet complexes exterior and interior pictures are indicative of the style and type of décor and furnishings, but these can vary.
- We contract the chalets on campsites through third parties, not necessarily the campsites themselves, therefore the mobile home types may be different from those shown on other websites or brochures.
- Some activities such as tennis, golf, children's clubs etc may cost extra and are paid for on site. The dates when facilities are available may differ subject to weather, occupancy level, demand etc.
- Where baby kits, linen, televisions etc are available to hire this should be requested well in advance as stock especially in high season is limited and subject to availability.
- Just like hotels, French campsites are given a star rating. Most of our campsites are either 4 or 5 star meaning that they offer a high standard and a wide range of activities. However a few have 3 stars but in our opinion are good quality and excellent value.
- Some campsites and apartments may charge an eco-tax payable on site which should not exceed €0.70 per day per person irrespective of age. This is a tax levied to support and protect the environment in tourist areas. Where we are aware that it is applied we have mentioned it in the property description.
- Even though most apartments and chalets offer baby equipment for hire you cannot exceed the maximum capacity shown alongside each description.
- Chalets tend not to be equipped with kettles or toasters.
Gites and Cottages
- We try and keep prices as low as possible and therefore you may need to allow for some extra expenses whilst on holiday to cover payment for linen hire, end of stay cleaning etc. If there is a charge for utilities and heating it will be shown in the description and payment will be collected at the end of your stay. This covers usage of electricity, gas or water over and above the allowance included in your rental. Where the owners have told us of a daily or weekly heating charge this is also shown and if no dates are given this is only payable when used. If the utility charge is metered and the heating is either gas, oil or electric this will generally form part of the meter readings unless otherwise stated.
- At all gites and cottages a cash deposit up to the value of €150 is payable on arrival. This is to cover any damage that may be incurred but does not limit your liability. Where damage exceeds the deposit value Brittany Ferries will recover any outstanding amount from you on behalf of the supplier. If you are taking your pet an extra deposit may be requested. Details will be provided with your travel documents.
- Wood when provided and unless otherwise specified has to be paid for. On many occasions it may need to be gathered or purchased by the clients.
- A living area will have table and chairs and some comfortable seating unless stated.
- Even though some pools are shown as being exclusive to clients the owners can choose to use them whilst their guests are out. Pets must never be allowed in swimming pools.
- Country homes, particularly those that are not permanently occupied by people, may well be the year-round homes of birds, bees or small furry things. This does not in any way reflect on standards of cleanliness, but may alarm those not used to rural living. Likewise, neighbouring farms will be seen as a delight for some, and the source of smells and early morning noise by others.
- Our properties are hugely varied. One person's idea of blissful, away-from-it-all peace is another's dull isolation and some may find the charm of a working farm outweighed by early morning agricultural activities and animal noises.
- Room prices include breakfast and at some hotels we have also negotiated a half board rate - where applicable proceed with your booking for a quote. Where half board has been purchased this is generally a 3 course set menu.
- Star ratings generally reflect the quality and standard of a hotel but some choose not to be classified although they are often of a high standard and excellent value.
- Services and facilities tend to vary according to the price so bear this in mind when deciding where to stay.
- Rooms are generally ready for check in from 2pm onwards and should be vacated by 11am on day of departure.
- Bedrooms have at least a shower and WC. As rooms are allocated on arrival, specific requests for a shower or bath can be noted, but not confirmed.
- At some hotels we also have superior or sea view rooms available - this is shown in the description - please proceed with your booking for a price.
- A room for 3 will be a double bedroom with folding single bed. Family rooms are only suitable for 2 adults and 2 children - these are often larger double rooms with additional sofa bed or folding beds added.
- Children occupying a full size bed pay the adult rate, except at hotels with the Free child offer. When this is the case a child under 12 stays free, if sharing a twin/double room with 2 adults - meals are not included.
- We do not charge for hotel accommodation for children under 4, unless they occupy a full size bed. We can request a cot for babies or toddlers, but these are not always available and a charge will be made by the hotelier - payable direct. It is recommended, and often cheaper and easier, to take a travel cot.
- If you book six nights or more at a hotel with the 7 nights for 6 offer the seventh night is free. This does not apply if booking half board and during July and August.
- At Christmas and New Year hotels may offer something special - a festive menu, and perhaps entertainment. An additional charge is made when this occurs. Prices and availability are on request only.
- The distances shown within descriptions are approximate and the restaurant closures are provided by our suppliers as a guideline - these may change without prior notice.
- There may be a charge for parking and leisure facilities. Some private and public garages cannot accommodate high vehicles such as large people carriers and Range Rovers.
About your holiday
Want to stay in more than one place?
Any accommodation on our website can be used for a multi-centre holiday, with time spent in more than one location. To book a multi-centre holiday or for a quote please call our Reservations Team on 0330 159 4500.
Although we have tried our best to show accurate prices on our website, where your travel is different to the date of stay, if mixing a route to France with a cruise to Spain, for stays spanning two seasons, prices will vary from those shown. Please proceed with your booking for a quote.
Ferry fares for holiday clients are greatly reduced, therefore if you travel abroad for 7 nights or longer a minimum of 3 nights' accommodation for all members of the party must be booked.
Wherever possible we will try to meet your specific requirements but although requests can be noted, we are unable to guarantee these. At many locations a charge is made for special requests needing to be confirmed and this is payable on site. Please call our Reservations Team on 0330 159 4500.
Last minute bookings
We will do everything we can to take bookings up to 24 hours before departure. When booking within 1 month of sailing payment must be by credit or debit card or through a travel agent. Confirmation may not be possible instantly and it's a good idea to let us have a 2nd or 3rd choice. To make a last minute booking please call our Reservations Team on 0330 159 4500.
Accommodation that may be suitable for clients with restricted mobility is shown. However you must discuss your specific requirements with us before making your booking to ensure it will be suitable.
Transfers from our ferry terminals to hotels are not included. Where we show the foot passenger icon, hotels are easily reached on foot, by public transport or taxi.
Outdoor pools are normally open from mid June to mid September (if heated slightly longer) and may close due to weather conditions or if maintenance is required. This is entirely at the discretion of the management/owner. Also on board the Pont-Aven and Cap Finistère, under certain conditions the Captain may decide to close the pool. Whenever using a pool suitable swimwear must be worn and swimming shorts are not usually acceptable. Hats are also often compulsory in public pools. Parents should be extra vigilant and supervise children in and around pool areas at all times. Pets must never be allowed in a swimming pool.
Most domestic pets can also discover the joys of France, Spain & Portugal. For information please go to www.defra.gov.uk or ring them on 0370 241 1710.
Where pets are accepted this is shown under extra services and the price shown is a price per pet per night unless stated otherwise. Some restrictions may apply. Please be aware that you may come across animals belonging to the owner even at properties where pets are not accepted. If you have allergies please check before booking.
If you are taking more than one animal please let us know as we will have to make a special request which may be refused. For ferry travel prices please call us on 0330 159 4500.
Travel documents & advice
All passengers must have a valid passport. British passport application forms are available from Post Offices (or apply online) and you should allow up to 12 weeks for issue or renewal. Any child going abroad without a parent or legal guardian must also have a letter of consent otherwise permission to travel may be refused.
For queries visit www.gov.uk. or call the Passport Office on 0300 222 0000.
Visas are not currently required for France by EU nationals but the latest travel advice from the government can be found at www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france. This information can change so please check prior to booking and before travelling.
Preferential €uro rates
As a holiday client you will benefit from preferential rates and Brittany Ferries will charge you no commission when you buy euros in our Poole or Plymouth terminals. You can also use our Call & Reserve euro service by ringing 0330 159 4999 to order at least 72 hours in advance and collect when you check in at any of our UK ports.
View all options available and more details.
You must take your insurance certificate, vehicle registration document and written permission to take the car abroad if it is not registered in your name. All members of the party who intend to drive abroad must also take their driving licences and be over 18.
It is important that you find out what the legal motoring requirements and regulations are when abroad, especially post-Brexit - for up to date information and to plan your route visit theaa.com.
It is essential to have personal and medical travel insurance. You are responsible for ensuring that the cover is adequate for your needs especially as it is more than likely the EHIC card will not be valid after 31 December 2020. We also suggest that you check you are covered for damage you may cause to persons or property whilst you are abroad as you will be liable for any such damage.
You must check with your insurance company whether you are insured to drive abroad.
Brittany Ferries has partnered with Voyager Insurance Services Ltd, an award-winning provider of Travel and Vehicle Breakdown Insurance, to help protect you, your family and your vehicle. See our travel insurance for more information.
Price match guarantee
If you can find an identical holiday at a lower price within 28 days of booking with Brittany Ferries, we guarantee to match it. The price match excludes insurance, special offers, loyalty bonuses, group and travel agent discounts.
Fully bonded holidays
We are a member of the Association of British Travel Agents so you can book with confidence in the knowledge that your holiday is totally secure.
Our holiday helpline
If you encounter any problems on holiday that you cannot resolve yourself, we operate a Holiday Helpline, with English speaking staff on hand to give you any assistance you require. Details are supplied with your holiday documents.
French public holidays
On public holidays you will find shops, museums and banks are often closed, so make sure you have enough local currency to tide you over. Trading laws often do not allow shopping on a Sunday except in tourist areas.
2020 Public Holidays
April 12 & 13
May 1, 8, & 21
November 1 & 11
2021 Public Holidays
May 1, 8, 13 & 24
November 1 & 11
What to do if you have an emergency whilst abroad
The European emergency number is 112. This will allow you to contact the ambulance, police, or fire services.
More information on this can be found at the European Commission Information Site: