Thank you for visiting our careers page. In the UK, we have port facilities and offices at 3 locations, Portsmouth, Poole and Plymouth. We regularly publish the details of a range of shore-based vacancies and recommend you bookmark this page ready to check in case we don’t have any opportunities to suit you right now.
Portsmouth based vacancies
Job type Full-time, permanent
The upcoming retirement of the current post-holder creates an exciting opportunity for taking on the day-to-day managing and future planning of our fleet’s live entertainment. The remit also encompasses other areas of our wider entertainment content such as some of our bars’ background music (provided and curated by an external supplier) and occasionally other projects.
Portsmouth-based, the role involves working as a key member of the Destination and Customer Experience (DCE) team – Experience & Sales, Ships & Ports department - liaising closely with team members and other Brittany Ferries colleagues, both in our ports and especially on board with key members of the crews. The post-holder also works closely with our London-based provider of live entertainment.
- Add to passenger on-board experience and increase sales.
- Manage the fleet’s agency-sourced entertainment.
- Manage the fleet’s bar background music.
- Liaise with Destination and Customer Experience team and manage entertainment projects as required.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Deliver appropriate and quality entertainment within budget.
- Use entertainment to build on board sales.
- Develop future entertainment.
- Work with suppliers and in-house technical colleagues to propose technical updates and solutions as needed.
Skills and attributes
- Good interpersonal, communications and people management skills.
- Integrity and discretion.
- Organisational skills.
Knowledge and qualifications
- Experience of the entertainment industry practices, show and business principles.
- Technical areas including sound, lighting, light entertainment.
- Knowledge of music and other entertainment and its purposes/effects on the listener/audience.
This position offers daily variety, being a member of a great team, and an opportunity to be involved in and positively influence our passengers’ experience on board, current and future.
The current post-holder, John Harrison, is available on 11 and 12 September for potential candidates who’d like to know more about the role.
To apply, please forward your CV plus letter of interest to:
Mr John Harrison
Closing date for applications is 17 September 2019
Poole based vacancies
Freight Reservations Assistant, Poole Office
Job type Full-time 12 month contract
- Conversion of booking requests into freight reservations. Requests are received by phone, fax and email.
- Ensuring accuracy of ships’ loading lists prior to passing to relevant Port Operations Departments ahead of ships’ turnarounds.
- Responding to booking enquiries and confirming, wait-listing or switch-selling using our bespoke system.
- Monitoring future bookings to ensure utilisation and to confirm vehicle details.
- Checking hazardous loads and abnormal vehicles acceptability.
- Checking livestock shipments comply with UK legislation and our Company policy.
- Taking payment.
- Taking overflow enquiries from our Freight Sales department when required.
- Contacting clients in the event of disrupted or cancelled sailings.
Skills and Attributes
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of freight market.
- Knowledge of Brittany Ferries’ fleet and route network.
- Ability to work unsupervised when required.
- Proactive approach to achieving individual and company goals.
- Flexibility/commitment in the event of disrupted or cancelled sailings.
- Ability to prioritise daily tasks, to work under pressure and to learn and appreciate the industry’s demands from UK, French and Spanish clients.
Knowledge and qualifications requirements
- We use a range of systems to process booking requests, full training will be provided.
- Good working knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- French and Spanish language skills.
- Good communication and customer care skills, both written and spoken.
To apply, please email email@example.com, attention Becky Dew, Freight Reservations Section Leader, and include your current CV. The closure date for applications is Friday, 20th September.
Please contact Becky if you have any questions or would like to discuss any aspect of this role prior to application.
Plymouth based vacancies
CCM Platforms Technical Support
Job type Full-time, initial 6 month secondment
An exciting technical support opportunity has arisen to join the CCM Platforms Team based in our Plymouth office. The role involves the provision of front-line technical support for all the Company’s CCM platforms plus technical configuration and system monitoring. The post-holder will also assist with a variety of exciting projects some of which are currently underway.
The full-time hours are Monday to Friday, 0930 to 1730 plus an on-call rota, though please note that on occasion, often at short notice, there is a requirement to work outside these standard office hours. Although the position is Plymouth-based, occasionally, it may be necessary to visit other Company sites or ships in the UK, France, Spain and Ireland.
• Ensure stability, operation and quality of the IT systems, infrastructures and applications supporting the CCM platforms so these systems are available where and when required.
• Ensure technical solutions are implemented in respect of deadlines set by business constraints and in accordance with the Company’s strategy and security policies.
• Participate in the strategy and definition of IT system resources required by the Company’s applications.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide second level support for system issues raised by our Service Desk.
- Monitor all IT systems infrastructures and plan ongoing developments in conjunction with service providers.
- Diagnose and resolve problems using systems administration and performance monitoring software tools.
- Communicate and work in close collaboration with other teams.
- Ensure documentation for system policies, technical specifications and operating procedures are maintained and updated.
- Maintain operational relationships with IT systems service providers.
- Provide 24/7 support out of office hours on a rota basis with other members of the UC team.
Skills and attributes
- Good time management and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to react calmly to situations in a time critical environment and work out a course of action to resolve problems.
- Ability to communicate across all levels within the Company, third-party clients and external suppliers.
- French language skills are an advantage.
- Learn from past experience to increase knowledge and skills.
- Have a positive and constructive outlook on current and potential problems.
- High analytical ability.
Knowledge and qualifications
- Computing degree or equivalent.
- Experience installing, trouble-shooting and operating communications technologies. Desirable technologies include the following:
- Cisco CUCM
- Cisco Jabber
- Cisco IOS Gateways
- Genesys Contact Centre Solutions
- Call recording software
- Windows (desktop and server)
- Experience deploying, supporting and trouble-shooting IP telephony devices including desktop agents, desk phones and other end points.
- Network support/administration – good understanding of protocols and security – IP, DNS, DHCP, VPN configuration.
- Experience of monitoring tools.
We are hoping to appoint someone as soon as possible.
To apply, please send an email explaining your reasons for applying and what attributes you would bring to the team to:
Victoria Batts and Joe Pothecary
Closing date for applications is 27 September 2019
A French company, our UK team numbers around 300 working in both large customer-facing teams and in smaller specialist and support teams such as holiday products, marketing, accounts and administration, learning and development, IT and digital. Benefits for our UK workforce include concessionary travel, NHS top-up cash plan and, for some roles, company uniform.
With fleet renewal and company transformation programmes currently underway, it’s an exciting time to join Brittany Ferries. Founded over 40 years ago by enterprising French farmers to transport their produce to the UK, we now operate on 12 routes with a fleet of 12 vessels and offer an attractive selection of holiday products as well as crossings for cars and freight vehicles.
On board, we pride ourselves on our warm welcome and delicious catering. If it’s a ship-based career that’s of interest to you, please note fluency in both English and French is a pre-requisite. Please use the link below to view on-board vacancies, as well as roles in our French locations.
Onboard Staff Recruitment