Brexit free travel

The UK has left the EU on 31 January 2020, but with a transition period due to run until at least the end of the year, any travel plans you make now will not be affected.

Below are a selection of Brexit Q&A's we’ve created to hopefully answer any questions you have and put your mind at ease, so you can continue to travel with confidence.

Brexit Price Guarantee

Brexit will have no effect on our terms and conditions. The price you pay today is guaranteed not to rise as a consequence of the UK's exit from the EU.

If you've booked one of our Sail & Stay package holidays, you can further take comfort in the knowledge that full financial protection is provided to you, through a bond held with the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA).

Passports and visas

The government advises there are at least 6 months duration on your passport from your date of arrival abroad following Brexit, now scheduled for 31 January 2020. For the latest information, visits the government's webpage on Passport rules for travel to Europe after Brexit

For more information visit

The European Commission announced in November 2018 that, even in a no-deal scenario, if you have a UK passport, you will still be able to travel to and from the EU without a visa for short duration visits. That's because visa-free reciprocal arrangements should be put in place, deal or no deal. But please be aware that this is the best information we have at the present time. 

For more information visit

Insurance and medical

In the event of a deal, EHIC cards will be valid during the transition period. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs are unlikely to be valid. However, we know that one member state - Portugal - has proposed an alternative to EHIC: a reciprocal arrangement could offer similar levels of protection, assuming it is implemented.

Don’t forget that an EHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance. It is always best to be covered when travelling abroad and ABTA recommends you take out a comprehensive travel policy before making any trip.

Brittany Ferries has partnered with Voyager Insurance Services Ltd, an award-winning provider of Travel and Vehicle Breakdown Insurance, to help protect you, your family and your vehicle whilst you’re away. You can find out more on our insurance page.

Driving in Europe

In addition to your UK driving licence, the government is advising that, in the event of no-deal, you may need an International Driving Permit to drive in certain EU countries from 1 February 2020. More information can be found on the government's webpage on preparing to drive in the EU after Brexit.

There are different types of permits for different countries, and each costs around £5.50. So you need to make sure you have the right permit for France and/or for Spain for example. For more information please visit the government’s webpage on International driving permits for UK drivers.

For more information visit

Pet travel

The UK has left the European Union and is now in a transition period until the 31st December 2020.
During the transition period, to travel with your pet to the EU until the end of December, you can continue to use your Pet Passport. If you don’t have a current UK–issued EU Pet Passport, you will need to speak to your vet. More information is available here.

Data roaming

We hope not. The government advises a few scenarios on data roaming depending on whether or not a deal is secured. But, fundamentally, the UK government has committed to capping data roaming charges in a worse-case (no deal) scenario.

More information can be found on the government’s webpage on mobile roaming if there’s no Brexit deal.